One for Import?

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

One for Import?

Postby Ali66 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what you think of these 2 cars.. The first is cheaper at $14,750, its in a right mess but the underside looks better, (in my limited opinion) than the second car at $19,750 which is nicer everywhere else...

I'd love to know your thoughts??

$14,750 http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982-dmc-delorean--c-3085.htm

$19,750 http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982-dmc-delorean--c-3020.htm
Alex

"That Punk Calvin Klein"

VIN 3759
Sept 81
Black Interior
Auto
Ali66

VIN #: 3759

Re: One for Import?

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:56 pm

I've been chatting to the guys at BCC all week about the 19k car, as I'm looking to import something at the moment too. It's hard to get a handle on the condition of the frame from the photos but they sent me some higher res shots that make it look not too bad. The 14k car is obviously in a state cosmetically but is more like project money in my opinion.

I'm tempted by either of them to be honest. But think the 19k car is worth 15k and the 14k car is worth 10k ;)

My concern with the 19k car is that you'd pay the extra and have to sink as much money in as the 14k car if the frame is in a bad way. My hope was that the 19k car would be more of a rolling restoration. But they said something odd which was that the auto transmission has a problem going into 4th - now these cars only have 3 gears right? So either it's a mistake on their part of there's something else wrong that they're mistaking for an inability to go into 4th... perhaps a problem with the auto trans governor? I'm no expert.

Those are my thoughts, perhaps we should just buy one each if we can knock them down a bit ;)

K

EDIT: they're sending me a vid of the 19k running and perhaps driving and I'll share when they do
kieran

Postby Ali66 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi Kieran,

Now you mention it I've seen you talking about that on another forum - just didn't put 2 and 2 together lol!

Hmm, It's difficult to get a good read on the exact quality of the cars from this distance although for a decent car with little to no work needed, I'd expect it to be around the $30,000, at least that's the asking price of the once Chris N, extremely kindly, suggested I look at.

I agree with you that perhaps more like $15k and $10k and may be worth a punt knowing that we'd have to front up some cash once back in Blighty. I'm not even sure the $14k car will run!

You may have hit a gem of an idea there - get one each, approach them and get a deal, share the shipping etc... worth thinking about ;)
Alex

"That Punk Calvin Klein"

VIN 3759
Sept 81
Black Interior
Auto
Ali66

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:13 pm

There is a guy on the other forum looking at the second one. BCC seem to source some pretty ropey cars, but they price them low too.

I would check that they actually start and run, particularly that first one. Get them to send a video

edit - nvm - got distracted while typing and didn't post in time.
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Yeah, that could be the way to go. Wonder if there's be much discount on just two cars on shipping, worth asking I guess.

The 14k car almost certainly is a non-starter, they say "the motor turns freely by hand" - that aside I've email Jarrod at BCC for more details which I will share. In some ways the 14k car is more tempting because it's clearly a proper project and you know what you're getting while the 19k car with its' weird 4th gear problem makes me think if I was gonna pay ~20k, I could probably find something in better condition. I dunno.
kieran

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Sorry Dangermouse, lurkin here too ;) Thanks for your advice though. I'm almost certain from the description that the 14k car doesn't start.
kieran

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Chris on the other forum, just contradicted my instinct about the 14k car... but I still think it might have a better frame, as you said Ali66
kieran

Postby Ali66 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm up for that much of a project. A few cosmetic/basic issues are fine but perhaps I would be a little out of my depth with a motor that doesn't even run.

The 4th gear problem doesn't sit right and I would also expect a car dealer to be able to tell the difference between not going into gear and say a fault with the auto trans governer (again, no expert at all). Although maybe they are assuming that it has 4 gears or maybe they are counting reverse as a gear lol!

I'm also not overly impressed with the look of the frame but that's just a feeling too. If it was a done deal at $10 and $15 I would sit up a bit but I'm perhaps not inclined to go any higher. I've emailed also, so we'll see what they come back with...

Interested to hear if anyone has any opinions on the $14k car
Alex

"That Punk Calvin Klein"

VIN 3759
Sept 81
Black Interior
Auto
Ali66

Postby kieran » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Yeah, I think I'm with you. The 14k car is a proper project.
kieran

Postby Ali66 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Chris P on the other forum has contradicted us again!! I haven't been cleared on that one yet so I can't post :(

Confused now!
Alex

"That Punk Calvin Klein"

VIN 3759
Sept 81
Black Interior
Auto
Ali66

Next

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted