DeLorean wanted

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

DeLorean wanted

Postby BenGW91 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to this site, but have dreamed of owning a DeLorean since the age of 3 (no kidding!)... and now I'm looking to buy one.

Looking to spend upto around £14000 - (I know this sounds quite low, but I do not mind importing one). Needless to say, if there is on within the UK, even better.

Looking for something in good condition - hopefully with minimal work required.

Also open to hearing from anyone regarding things to look out for on such a classic car!

Ben
BenGW91

Re: DeLorean wanted

Postby arranj » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:27 pm

£14,000.... Even with importing you'd be looking at a non-running car with missing pieces, e.g. engine or doors. For example: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4517
I think user NJI was selling a previously-painted-black project car for £16k: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=891 - but I'd expect that price would be higher now as I think he's done more to it.

Typically a good condition car is going to go for about £27k-£30k - if you import you can beat that, but you're taking a gamble on the condition sometimes. Someone did sell one for £23,500 in a hurry last year, but that sold in a day, you don't see that price very often. Anything less than that and you're looking at no MOT/not registered and a few thousand to get it back on the road.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:13 pm

arranj wrote:£14,000.... Even with importing you'd be looking at a non-running car with missing pieces, e.g. engine or doors. For example: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4517
I think user NJI was selling a previously-painted-black project car for £16k: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=891 - but I'd expect that price would be higher now as I think he's done more to it.

Typically a good condition car is going to go for about £27k-£30k - if you import you can beat that, but you're taking a gamble on the condition sometimes. Someone did sell one for £23,500 in a hurry last year, but that sold in a day, you don't see that price very often. Anything less than that and you're looking at no MOT/not registered and a few thousand to get it back on the road.

+1

If your budget is that low and you don't want to take on a project, then you'd have to take a punt stateside, but prices have been going up there too for the last couple of years.

If you reckon on £3k for haulage, shipping, import duty & sundries and cost of getting it UKified/registered over here then you're looking at £11k / $16k. This would get you a rough runner, but what you don't know is exactly how much work you're going to need to do/ £ you'll need to spend back over here to get it through an MOT... and of course it'll still be rough when you do!
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Save another £6 - £8k and get a half decent one from the states.

You will never see anything in the UK for that kind of money (just being realistic), especially considering you have stated you would like one in good condition with minimal work required.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby A Van » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 pm

I think the last of the cheap cars in the UK went last year, and judging on what is happening it's unlikely there will ever be any again unless in seriously awful condition.

You only option is to import one but at that price it will need lots doing.

Sorry to a bearer of bad news, buts that where things are at the moment
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby BenGW91 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:07 am

Well I have saved some more dosh and upped my budget to £20,000. If anyone knows of anything please give me a shout.
BenGW91

Postby arranj » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:56 am

This is the complete list of all cars that are currently for sale and in the UK: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/deloreans-for-sale.html - obviously worth a shot haggling with the ones at the lower end, but you're unlikely to get a nice car - or probably even one that runs - for £20k.
For example, this car sold recently on eBay for £18k: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5038 - it doesn't run and needs a new chassis.

This one is within your budget at £15k: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1613 - but doesn't run and is supplied partially in kit form.

You never know though - someone might be tempted!
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:05 pm

For £20k I think you'd be able to import one in average condition. It would be a runner needing cosmetic work and most likely a couple of grand spending on it once you got it here on all the random jobs that cars in that condition tend to need (fuel accumulator, refurb brake calipers, ignition system refresh etc etc). But its doable. Perhaps the Knowltons could chime in with their experience?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby mknowlton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:02 pm

jerzybondov wrote:For £20k I think you'd be able to import one in average condition. It would be a runner needing cosmetic work and most likely a couple of grand spending on it once you got it here on all the random jobs that cars in that condition tend to need (fuel accumulator, refurb brake calipers, ignition system refresh etc etc). But its doable. Perhaps the Knowltons could chime in with their experience?

I think that you are spot on there with your figures Gez.

As I see things at the moment, you would be hard pushed to pick up a running driving car in the UK for £20K currently.

As it happens Me and Barry (Dbro 2) hope to have an option or two in the coming weeks for an 'entry level' DeLorean for anyone who may be interested but we would be looking at more than £20k for what will be a running car.

The (possibly) cheaper alternative would be to import but there obviously is an element of risk involved with this and as you say, you really need to allow circa £3K for the process and several weeks before you take delivery.

If you (BenGW91) feel you would like to discuss any of this with me then feel free to send me a pm
Mike Knowlton (DBro 1)
DeLorean DMC-12, VIN#4208,
Black Interior, Automatic. Grooved bonnet, Gasflap
(& VIN # 2395 and VIN # 2486 currently under restoration)
mknowlton

VIN #: 04208

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted