Vin 5866 for sale by Auction on 10th Oct

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

Re: Vin 5866 SOLD by Auction on 20th April 2016

Postby andyd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:08 pm

I also think we may be on the cusp of seeing people who buy to invest in DeLoreans, and not buying to drive and enjoy as most owners currently do. These guys would want a minter with original springs, master cylinders, door handles ball joints, control arms etc.

Not my bag personally, but this would require ultra low mileage, original good interior and body. No rebrush etc!

People may see the prodigious increases in asking prices compared to a few years ago, and consider buying not to drive but simply to add to a collection. Like most cars and bikes tho, you will know that this is really not very good for them as a vehicle, but does preserve it as an object.

Horses for courses I guess, but trying to get a "collection" car back into reliable use would I suspect be an expensive and frustrating process.

A
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby MikeWard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Freddy123 wrote:our workshops/service centre, who employ master techs only.

so they have only changed the cooling fan

They only changed the one? It's common practice to replace them in pairs.

On another note take this car:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5094
and the link to the dealers website: http://ddclassics.com/car-listing/delorean-dmc-12-lhd/
This car also has 9k miles on it, is over £5k less than what you are asking for yours, and the interior on this car is all the same shade of grey (i.e. it's mint). This car has been for sale since early January, and it still hasn't sold. Back to my original comment, if you were offered £34k you should have snapped their hand off.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby bandit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Freddy123 wrote:Hi Andy.

Thanks for your comments, I can see the value in them. I have had the vehicle thoroughly checked out at our workshops/service centre, who employ master techs only. We have spent several hundred pounds updating, but I did make a big point that I wanted an original car only, so they have only changed the cooling fan, wiring, & headlights etc, rather than parts that were still in decent working order? It also had steering bushes, and all parts were purchased via your goodselves! I'm pretty sure, only judging by the customers I've had viewing the car that it will sell, but to to a normal member of the public rather than a DeLorian expert! Either way I'll be a happy bunny, but in the meantime I'm enjoying parking up at local pubs with Ferrari's and alike, and steeling their audience!! It's great fun for 29k! :) Cheers mate, Nigel.

It's DeLorean
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes, I think there are 3 types of buyers for these cars - here I am talking about UK registered cars only:
1) Low mileage mint condition original. These tend to be the highest price - one example got £60k last year, but that had what 9 miles on the clock? People use these as paperweights.
2) Medium mileage "upgraded" cars. These are the type that have the items mentioned in the posts above replaced or upgraded already - AndyD puts it best. People who want to drive the car.
3) Drunk people on Ebay and the ill-informed. There are a lot of these people though! When I bought my car I was in this category I think.

I'd say you were pitching in-between 1 and 3 - nothing wrong with that and good luck to you! You'd have thought this was a good time to sell too, rather than the winter.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Vin 5866 SOLD by Auction on 20th April 2016

Postby A Van » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:35 pm

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... d=1&pid=11

For sale at same money

I can already see the interior is in better condition, the suspension has been upgraded
The coolant bottle has been changed
It has new hoses, and that's from what I can see.

Also I would bet a new starter and alternator

And that's from just the pictures that are on there , it has had a lot of money spent on it.

As it wouldn't have been able to get to the mileage it's on without spending money on it!

That's the whole reason for well kept and upgraded car being worth more money.
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 pm

How comes you needed your Audi to clock the speed Nigel?

Is the speedo broke?
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:20 pm

bandit wrote:
Freddy123 wrote:Hi all. DeLorian, vin 5866 was purchased from Duxford Classic car Auction for £29,120.00 on the 20th of April my myself, and as you know is currently on our companies website for £39,995 although this is not the figure we really expect to achieve, although we do believe they will continue to rise in value! We have been offered over 34k so far though, which is a plus for all members with a 9,631 mile Automatic car I feel? I have always been fascinated by the DeLorian story since being much younger, and just felt I had to own one to add to my small collection of cars. I realise I'm being "a little cheeky" at £39,950.00, but honestly believe we will achieve 37k from this lovely example! A Director of Ford Motor Company was our last viewing! I will update you guys soon, but I'm in NO rush to sell her as I gain more interest driving this than an F12 Belinetta!!!! Mad.

It's DeLorean!

It's spelt "DeLorean" buddy, not "Delorian". Just make sure it's spelt like this in any adverts you put out to get the biggest attraction for a sale.

Mike is spot on regarding his points, so don't take this as a criticism, it's factual based on these particular cars.

Fwiw as these are technically misunderstood cars and with respect, even master techs won't fully understand it. It's an "old skool" car that requires certain experience of k-jetronic mechanical injection system with computer lambda control and multiple electrics to sort out. Moreover, the auto has a computer and requires that the governor (mini computer) is operational and the pressures within are set to operate correctly and if not you may experience miss operation or loss of transmission.

I'll also helpfully advise that also as these are quite unique cars they are also vastly followed and the owners are friendly and look after each other to keep these cars on the road and the people here will help you on realistic items that need to be done for reliability. Ref cars that are not run ie lower mileage cars, the engine needs to be operated to ensure oil gaskets are not blocked and that the engine does not rot due to standing water in the V section of the engine. Higher mileage ones don't have these as the mechanical aspects have essentially been exercised.

I wish you luck in the sale. Repeatedly posting how well a car is running will not make it so and will quickly be seen through as it has been done before. The best thing I can personally recommend is to take on board the feedback from the experienced people on here if you're serious enough about selling and advise as others that if you've been offered £34k then this should have been taken as this would have been a high value considering its current condition.

Good luck with the sale, all the best
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby mec » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Freddy123 wrote:Hi there.

I wouldn't call them issues?? We purchased new headlights etc, and fitted a new cooling fan at our workshop, as the previous owners left all the wires hanging from the engine bay! It's in all round great condition now, and looks amazing outside (when sunny!) It was at Burnham Market supercar show a few weeks ago, and gained more attention than 2 millions worth of McClaren P1!! Love it!

He mentioned it had to be recovered home on a truck, Something to do with the auto box ?
NTH347X... now DMC 81X
Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395

2009 DMC Europe open house Roadtrip member
Official 2010 Silvercoast "Chaved Banana"
Unofficial 2011 Eurofest Autotest WINNER ! 128.7 secs
2013 Silvercoast DMC Roadtrip Representitive
Eurofest 2016 Roadtrip member
2019 Hamburg Official Convoy Member

DeLorean Club
mec

VIN #: 4395
Spaxed

Postby Freddy123 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 am

No recovery required Mike! The Vehicle has been to several shows and event days, as discussed earlier, and has been put on our flatbed to save long drives in such a vehicle. I'm more than happy for any taker's wishing to start/drive it, to prove it drives OK for such an old car, so please do let me know if you wish to attend? I still stand by my 29k purchase, and know I'm no DeLorean fan, and to be honest, I didn't purchase it to become one, "it's just another purchase" to us, and when it does sell, I'll be more than happy to disclose the sales invoice to anyone wishing to view it! This all said, I've really enjoyed the banter on here, and can see that you all look after each other, which is great!

Cheers all, Nigel.
Freddy123

VIN #: 5866

Postby jerzybondov » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:38 pm

arranj wrote:3) Drunk people on Ebay and the ill-informed. There are a lot of these people though! When I bought my car I was in this category I think.

+1 on the drunk on eBay front :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted