Vin 5866 for sale by Auction on 10th Oct

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

Re: Vin 5866 SOLD by Auction on 20th April 2016

Postby MikeWard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Freddy123 wrote:We have been offered over 34k so far though, which is a plus for all members with a 9,631 mile Automatic car I feel?

If someone seriously offered you over £34k, you should have snapped their hand off.

Also for that price I'd be wanting a mint interior, not one with a self tapping screw mercilessly shoved through the centre console
media.jpg
media.jpg (165.29 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

In addition all other maintenance upgrades should be done at this price bracket.

Good luck with the sale.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby Freddy123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi Mike.

Thanks for your constructive comments, however all upgrade required have now been completed, and I very much doubt a screw, which was there when we acquired the vehicle will distract "a normal buyer" from purchasing it with these miles? As I reported last night, we've had two offers since having the vehicle, one on the first day of ownership, of 33k, & then 34k, both of which were declined! We are in no rush whatsoever to "move the car on quickly" so will leave online for Mr Right to pop his head up! Thanks again for your detailed comments though... Regards, Nigel.
Freddy123

VIN #: 5866

Postby Freddy123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:43 pm

P.S, If you want to buy the vehicle Mike we would look at getting the screw removed for you! :)
Freddy123

Postby MikeWard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Nigel,
The low mileage isn't really a selling point to anyone who would actually want to use the car regularly. There are multiple threads discussing this on the forum, a higher mileage car is arguably worth more than a car with low miles, again those that have done their research will know this. The PRV engine in the DeLorean really does not take well to sitting.

I note from the pictures that the car has original fuel lines, is it also running original brake lines and original coolant hoses as well? There is no note of these items having been replaced in the sales spiel. Have the trailing arm bolts and lower ball joints been replaced? Clutch line upgraded to stainless braided? It's riding high at the front so still has the original moon buggy front springs fitted.

Regarding the centre console, my comment was more in despair that someones idea of a 'fix' was to put a self tapping screw through a no longer available part. The rest of the interior also appears to be sun faded with multiple interior parts displaying different shades of grey (not fifty shades though ;) )

I am not in the market for a car (I already own one), but I suspect you will be sat on it for sometime at a £40k asking price. Of course you could get lucky and have someone come along who doesn't take the time to do any reading up on these cars.

All the best with the sale.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby A Van » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Having looked at the pictures , I concur with Mike it falls short of a £40k price tag by some way, given the car is 35 years old some restoration is required rather than a recommission.

If any potential buyers do their research they won't pay £40k for it.

There is another for sale at the moment which has considerable work carried out at over £13k less.

Good luck if you find someone who doesn't have the knowledge of these cars

Personally I would have taken £34k

The longer you sit on it the more potential issues can arise and believe me they will on these cars.
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Freddy123 wrote:Hi all. DeLorian, vin 5866 was purchased from Duxford Classic car Auction for £29,120.00 on the 20th of April my myself, and as you know is currently on our companies website for £39,995 although this is not the figure we really expect to achieve, although we do believe they will continue to rise in value! We have been offered over 34k so far though, which is a plus for all members with a 9,631 mile Automatic car I feel? I have always been fascinated by the DeLorian story since being much younger, and just felt I had to own one to add to my small collection of cars. I realise I'm being "a little cheeky" at £39,950.00, but honestly believe we will achieve 37k from this lovely example! A Director of Ford Motor Company was our last viewing! I will update you guys soon, but I'm in NO rush to sell her as I gain more interest driving this than an F12 Belinetta!!!! Mad.

It's DeLorean!
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby Freddy123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi Guys. Thanks for your comments on the low miles etc.. I am struggling a little with the high mileage cars, i.e. a 65k one (same money on Autotrader) being worth more than a very low mileage one!? I come from an engineering background, and have had over 30 years experience selling cars, and have never come across someone say a high mileage is worth more, but hey, let's see what happens? I'm no Delorian expert, and have never pretended to be, but I could still sell probably "The worst" quality of any car i've purchased, tomorrow morning, and still walk away with a 4k profit!! "Is that a bad thing!?" I intent to keep the car as long as it takes to sell, as I'm able to do so, but I'm very grateful for the experts point of view on the car, and thats why I joined the forum. Regards, Nigel.
Freddy123

Postby Freddy123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi folks. I forgot to say, the car has just returned from the Burnham Market supercar show, and was driven up there with NO issues whatsoever! I also followed it back from Duxford Classic car auction on the M25 after paying 29k for it, and my Audi R8 V10 was reading just over 80mph, so I do believe this speed is easily reached, "It just takes a while to get there!!":)
Freddy123

Postby andyd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 pm

The reason higher mileage is generally a better bet is that it is indicative of it being used regularly. The car in general and the engine and fuel system specifically does not like to sit unused.

Look on the dmctalk and other forums if you think we're yanking your chain. Its a general concensus within the community, tho I agree counterintuitive especially to the new or prospective owner.

Another odd point, unlike other classics is that owners in the know also generally like to see replacement parts on the car. By this I mean

Trailing arm bolts and bushes
Springs
Lower ball joints
Fuel brake and clutch lines in stainless
Radiator and fans
Coolant bottle and silicone hoses
Arb kit in poly
Fusebox
Metal door handles etc etc

I would take a well used and cared for car with 90000 miles over a recently recommissioned very low mileage example any day.

Cheers

Andy
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby Freddy123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Andy.

Thanks for your comments, I can see the value in them. I have had the vehicle thoroughly checked out at our workshops/service centre, who employ master techs only. We have spent several hundred pounds updating, but I did make a big point that I wanted an original car only, so they have only changed the cooling fan, wiring, & headlights etc, rather than parts that were still in decent working order? It also had steering bushes, and all parts were purchased via your goodselves! I'm pretty sure, only judging by the customers I've had viewing the car that it will sell, but to to a normal member of the public rather than a DeLorian expert! Either way I'll be a happy bunny, but in the meantime I'm enjoying parking up at local pubs with Ferrari's and alike, and steeling their audience!! It's great fun for 29k! :) Cheers mate, Nigel.
Freddy123

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted