Vin 5866 for sale by Auction on 10th Oct

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

Re: Vin 5866 SOLD by Auction on 20th April 2016

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:07 pm

I wonder how much an identical car would have made at auction if it had had 50,000 miles? Would be interesting to see what the fallacy factor is to the DeLorean buying public out there... We can only really guess.

That seems to be a decent new benchmark though for a tidy, low mileage, original DeLorean - £33k.

Personally I'd rather have a higher mileage car with spax, Ed's springs, updated alternator, stainless exhaust, new relays, fuel pump etc etc... but horses for courses and all that :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby andys » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:33 pm

I guess there are always people out there (me included) that will pay a premium for low mileage, un-molested cars.

And at the end of the day, a car is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I cant be the only mug out there.
Andy Smith

VIN #3592
andys

VIN #: 3592
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Low mileage isn't a guarantee of it being unmolested. What it is an indication of, is that it will need serious ££££ throwing at it to get it to a stage that it's actually usable and reliable.

I agree with Gez, I'd sooner have a higher mileage car with all the updates and fixes already done. Mine was relatively low mileage when I bought it with 15500 on the clock, and my car was looked after by it's previous owner, it's still needed money spending on it.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby jerzybondov » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 pm

andys wrote:I guess there are always people out there (me included) that will pay a premium for low mileage, un-molested cars.

Yep totally... one man's molestation is another man's sensible updates for modern reliable running! For some of us who don't believe the car was a paragon of engineering perfection out of the factory, we're going to lean towards the latter :D

But as the cars get older and rarer, values go up and people start using them less (over the next 10-20 years) I'd expect those original unmolested cars to go up in value more.

Mind you, look at Austin Healeys, and how many of them are updated for modern running and often worth a premium over original cars if done well.
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby andys » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Dont get me wrong, I have been molesting mine for the last 3 months, I must be Arrans top customer at the minute.

I just prefer I do the molesting myself and do the job properly. l find garages just want to get the job done and on to the next job.

Andy Smith
Andy Smith

VIN #3592
andys

VIN #: 3592
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:15 pm

andys wrote:I must be Arrans top customer at the minute.

:geek: I can verify this is correct :lol: when looking at the last 3 months only. You're just about in the top 5 over the last year :) - there are other mugs out there obviously lol.

I can certainly see the appeal of the perfect low mileage examples - it just depends on what the car will be used for I suppose - you wouldn't want to reply on an unused, untouched car to actually work, but it would look good.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby drago1979 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am

Hi,
Interesting point, mine is a Grey manual, Dec '81 - Vin 10989.
This was imported from the US around the middle of last year.
The reason I post is because mine has just short of 50k on the clock.
The car isn't of an A+ standard, but isn't far off. The car starts first time, every time and runs great. I wanted a car that has been used and any problems resolved.
I just wonder what price, approx this could sell for? Or is it a case of the buyer's market just interested in sub 20,000 mile examples?
drago1979

VIN #: 10989

Postby jerzybondov » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:19 pm

I'd argue the market is made of two categories of buyer: collectors, and enthusiasts. Most likely this particular auction car will have gone to a collector. The market for your car (and mine) would tend to be the latter. I'm not sure that the prices between them are so different - just the audience. Enthusiasts understand the mileage should be irrelevant to value and focus on condition - collectors factor in the mileage too to their value assessment.

Either way any car in good cosmetic condition, where everything works and doesn't need work doing should be worth £30k+ at the moment. Arran will probably have a better idea of what cars have been selling for recently.
VIN 7176
jerzybondov

Spaxed

Postby arranj » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Looking at the bidding on the "rougher" one on Ebay which is already at £20k - plus factoring in this auction car is an auto - I'd say that was about right Gez. I see there are quite a few cars for sale at the moment though, and they aren't moving too fast. A couple I know about have sold for about £30k recently. I think if you were desperate to sell a car of normal standard you'd probably be getting £28k - but you could just as easily get £35k, it's all down to location and finding the right buyer.

Of the cars that have been on the market longest and are under £30k - they either really aren't trying hard to sell or need work doing. Or they are painted red...(which is a different market entirely)

As have been previously said - Tyson's old car, VIN 5284 - represents really very good value for money and I can't believe it hasn't sold yet.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby drago1979 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:24 pm

That makes sense, with regards to two types of buyers, to a collector how many miles are on the clock becomes of much more interest.
From what I have seen, the better prices seem to be had at auction, even allowing for all fees and costs added.
I would have thought that other D would have sold, looks like a great example and it's the spec I thought was most in demand.
drago1979

VIN #: 10989

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted