New here looking at project cars

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

New here looking at project cars

Postby Gortex » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi All

New here but loved the Delorean since it’s release back in the early 80’S. From the UK but lived in Ireland the last 20 years.
Just getting a feel and people input on what’s about as a project car ? (If any) Thanks in advance.
Gortex

Re: New here looking at project cars

Postby eric » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi, Welcome, I think broadly speaking a lot of the "project cars" are getting imported from the US to the UK.

Still some to be found here but I think a lot of the "D folk" buy them and do them up. I haven't seen many project cars on UK eBay for a while, they still come up.

There is only one thing in life worse than not owning a DeLorean.
Owning one which is not running...
eric

VIN #: 7161
Spaxed

Postby DMC1983 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi and greetings.

Projects in the uk are rare. They do crop up but not often and when they do, they tend to sell within a week of being listed. Gotta be quick.

Most people (myself included), imported from the US. The Beverley hills car club (for example) get projects all the time in various states of decay. However, it does seem like even project cars are rising in value.
Importing is also a pretty simple process now too and theres plenty of helpful info on this very forum about it.

How much of a project are you looking for? One that needs some work or one that needs a ton of work or somewhere in between?
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby Gortex » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm

I have been looking in the US. But also don’t want to get scammed , what is a resealable price you should be able to pick up a project car up for nowadays?
Gortex

Postby DMC1983 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 pm

It all depends on the condition and work needed really. Non runners seem to be around £15k to £20k maybe even up to £25k now-a-days.

Being scammed is an issue and there are a few fake listings about but to be fair, they are fairly obvious (usually a mint car with a low asking price).
As i said, i (and quite a few others) have used bhcc. You can negotiate price and for a fee, you can let them arrange transport and paperwork for export. They really take the hassle out of exporting and at least you know when they open the container this end there will be a car and not just a photograph or something.

All i can say is keep looking and if need be, ask what owners think of it. Also, if you havent, i would advise getting these books. Both very helpful in what to look out for in a car. The american one isnt cheap now and a little hard to come by, but chris williams one is still a good choice on its own

20180325_192029.jpg
20180325_192029.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 6927 times
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby Gortex » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:27 pm

Ok. Thank you for the advice.
Gortex

Postby hana 5284 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:24 pm

welcome! i also brought a project car from the uk 3 years ago and on the listing it said maybe a couple of weekends to get it back on the road.
this was 3 years ago and 2000 working hours later and just got it registered on the road. i would estimate i have spent around 15k on the resto project.
the only good thing was i know i have done every part. you could maybe buy a car for 35k and it should be a good car but doing it the way i did you can spread out the cost over a few years. anyways good luck on your hunt just make sure the frame is decent everything else is easy.

all the best

cheers
Tyson
EuroTec Head of Transportation / Official Crane Operator
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club

hana 5284

VIN #: Vin 6367
Spaxed

Postby Ali66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 am

Have a look at DMC Midwest. I bought mine from there and they emailed me an inventory list which was a lot more cars than they had on their website. They take them on in all states of repair and do them up however you can buy a car from them at any stage during the restoration going from 'as is' to something like fully restored and the price reflects that.

Worth dropping them a line. They'll tell you exactly what has been done to the car and what needs doing, you can then make the decision based on budget and work left to do.

That was 6 years ago though but I spoke to them recently and they were helpful as ever. Speak to Mike.
Alex

"That Punk Calvin Klein"

VIN 3759
Sept 81
Black Interior
Auto
Ali66

VIN #: 3759

Postby Gortex » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks I will take a look and email them did they organise shipping for you ? Or did you look after that yourself
Gortex

Postby Gortex » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:26 pm

hana 5284 wrote:you can spread out the cost over a few years

That is a better plan plus like you say you get to know the car.
Gortex

Next

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted