Water Pump Reseal kit

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Re: Water Pump Reseal kit

Postby A Van » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:58 pm

btk65 wrote:Hi DBro 2 Signing in

Here's a couple of photos of the pump we refurbished and one of the parts in their boxes if it helps. As Mike says we hope to post a "how to" on the forum and we have the feelers out for a donor pump so the club can benefit having a spare to send out as a part ex perhaps.
Pump1.JPG

Pump2.JPG

Pump3.JPG

Interesting that you Googled Dbro's :idea: ....don't know why but I Googled Rissy. You really might want to think about changing your nick name. :roll:

You wouldn't believe how much I have been laughing .... I promise not to bring it up Chris ....I'll leave that to you lol!!!!
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:48 pm

So I worked more at getting my practice pump apart during the weekend there. You can see I've managed to get it all apart, except I've still not removed the broken impeller from the shaft. (Not sure how I could do that, as the impeller is really fragile and brittle, hence why I've already broken it.

You need to be able to remove the impeller in order to replace the mechanical seal (also still on the shaft because a flange prevents it being pulled off the other way), so it's because of this that I think, without having proper knowledge and equipment, this is turning into too tricky a job for me to risk ruining a salvageable pump over.

To get this one this far, has included the impeller being broken, the shaft pitted and scored and the pulley bent and twisted. Three things which immediately make your pump pretty useless.

My bearings seemed to be 6202-rs1/c3 versions of Mike's quoted. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, although I think with the ones pictured here, these ones allow for slight variation in alignment, to still provide a smooth turning without wearing out the bearing as a result instead. (Because only one side has rubber, and the other side has the flexible bearing runner instead (seen))

I think it's probably worth paying the money and getting an experienced person to do the job for you instead TBH. As long as they DO in fact change everything!

Out of interest, does anyone know where to get the M7 30mm hex Allen headed bolts from, in high tensile strength, not stainless? I can't find them available anywhere?!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4212 times
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Postby DJK73 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm

MikeWard wrote:I would recommend you send it off to Dave H and have his guy refurbish it. His guy is tried and tested and has been known to resurrect even the worst looking pumps, and they come back looking like new.

Circa £100 for a guaranteed good job seems like a good price to me.
Dbro4
Ex Vin#10223
Grey interior, Manual
Spaxed
Free flow
DJK73

VIN #: 10223
Spaxed

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:15 pm

I just bought one of the more readily available flanged 4 bolt water pumps and bought an adapter pulley. If it needs changing then it's a matter of unbolting it only.

Eg ebay item 291418282341
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:I just bought one of the more readily available flanged 4 bolt water pumps and bought an adapter pulley. If it needs changing then it's a matter of unbolting it only.

I have one of the 4-bolt pulley pumps also, but I've yet to buy a bolted pulley for it yet. The one you've linked is the alternate model. The original one seem to be getting harder to get a hold off even in the 4-bolt pulley configuration. The innards of both pumps are presumably the same though. So I'd have thought it was the same approach for each in the case of refurbishing.

Does this one you've linked still fit ok considering the differences between them?
Last edited by Rissy on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby arranj » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Rissy wrote:
Admin-bloke wrote:I just bought one of the more readily available flanged 4 bolt water pumps and bought an adapter pulley. If it needs changing then it's a matter of unbolting it only.

I have one of these pumps also, but I've yet to buy a bolted pulley for it yet. These too seem to be getting harder to get a hold off. The innards of both pumps are presumably the same though. So I'd have thought it was the same approach for each in the case of refurbishing.

More part numbers for that pump here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2207 - it's pretty common outside of the UK. Then you just need one of Julian's pulleys: http://www.deloreanclub.uk/aluminium-bo ... ulley.html
We seem to send most of these pulleys to the USA, I think they must have that type of water pump in abundance over there. Indeed there are some on EBay for £15 new.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby btk65 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Rissy....you have proper mullered that. What is they say about a little knowledge being dangerous. All is not lost if you have all the broken bits of the impellor? FYI you don't take the impellor of the shaft, the seal is retained by a small wire clip in a grove on the shaft. If you a going to Norfolk bring everything with you and we're take a look.

Cheers DBro 2
Barry Knowlton
DeLorean DMC-12 Vin#2043
Black Interior, Manual, Grooved Bonnet, Gasflap
(& VIN # 2395 and VIN # 2486 currently under restoration)
btk65

VIN #: 2043

Postby Rissy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Is it possible to get the impeller completely replaced?

What about the pulley? Fixable? Replaceable?

The impeller was broken about 18 months ago. It's properly brittle. I think I still have the pieces somewhere. The pulley was deformed and bent with the heat applied to it by a mate trying to disassemble it for me. That was about 6-7 months ago.

My shaft is also dented and scored. The pulley scored the shaft when pushing it off. I think this was done, again, about 6-7 months ago.

So I think the shaft would need to be replaced too.

I looked at it, and it looks like my mechanical seal has to come off in the same direction as the impeller. I'll take another look and take a photo tonight, but it looked as though there was a flange or something which it butted up against.
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby btk65 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Will need to see it.....its all fixable if you have the broken bits. Who needs mates like that? really I wouldn't touch any further just bring it all to Norfolk.

DBro 2
Barry Knowlton
DeLorean DMC-12 Vin#2043
Black Interior, Manual, Grooved Bonnet, Gasflap
(& VIN # 2395 and VIN # 2486 currently under restoration)
btk65

VIN #: 2043

Postby Rissy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:57 pm

I'm not going to Norfolk next month. I'll be in Greece at the time unfortunately.

I'll see if I can dig out the bits. I'm sure I've got them all. I got handed all the bits at once. I'm sure I wouldn't have thrown anything away.
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted