Can I borrow a wheel puller?

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Re: Can I borrow a wheel puller?

Postby Dan 6511 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:09 pm

The steering wheel needs to have equal turns lock to lock. If it turns further one way than the other then the splines are out. If its equal lock to lock already then its out on the track rods.
Sell it Or Sorn it

Road trips:
2008: Mervyn's Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2008: DMC Europe Open House
2009: DMC Europe Open House
2009: Royal Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2010: Silvercoast, France
2010: Shanefest, Ireland
2010: Luxemburg & Nurburgring
2011: Eurofest, Belfast
2019: International DeLorean Meeting, Hamburg
Dan 6511

Postby Rissy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:43 pm

DJK73 wrote:Rissy perhaps you can bring your tools and help out as well ?

I'll not be at Norfolk unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view I guess)

The steering wheel turns a total of 2.4 turns, lock to lock. Mid point obviously being at 1.2 turns each direction to lock.

I've never had the steering wheel off the shaft before, so can't comment on the indicator cancelling mechanism (I thought the column was just a circular splined shaft at both ends?!), but what I do know, is you need to have the rack centred and the column built to join the rack to the steering wheel shaft to allow the correct amount of equal turning in both directions as explained above.
The lower UJ has a flat as well as the splines, so there is a limited amount of play which you have as far as choice of splines goes, because you still have to lock the two pieces together with the bolt which goes across the flat. This is more for preventing the two halves from pulling apart than slipping around, because the splines prevent that. The upper UJ is the next best point of adjustment (after the TRE's of course) because it has a divet recess right around the circumference, as well as splines, so you can choose any set of splines you want if you bolt it up first.

If you want to try and adjust the steering wheel in relation to the rack position, you have to affix and bolt up the lower UJ first, in it's optimal position, THEN, spline the upper UJ in the closest fit to the steering wheel shaft which allows 1.2 turns in each direction evenly. Any other deviation from straight wheels and a straight steering wheel HAS to be carried out at the TRE's if this doesn't work.

In theory, an equal number of turns on each side in a complimentary direction should shift the offset for fine tuning without upsetting the tracking, however, I've never done this myself, so my comment is only for the theory. You have to be VERY careful doing this though, because with the restraining nut loosened, both the shaft AND the TRE can move freely. So you'd only want the TRE to turn, because if you allowed the shaft to turn, even a little bit, then it's back to the garage you go for a proper full alignment again, because it would be too difficult to recover from the shaft turning, as you have no frame of reference for where it was before you moved it accidentally.

I'm of the opinion that it is not necessary or a good idea to be pulling the steering wheel off, but my opinion is based on the steering column just being an unkeyed circular splined shaft at the wheel (as I'm unsure of this indicator mechanism being mentioned)
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Postby Dave T » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:02 pm

no pullers required... 2 person job....more shock than pull required Ive seen pullers strip threads on sticky wheels

slacken off the column nut a few threads....pull pressure on the steering wheeel with both hands... the other person gives the centre of the column a good crack with a drift & hammer...... this will shock the wheel off the splines....the slackened nut will catch the wheel and stop it hitting you in the face ...simples :thumbsup:
Dave T

VIN #: 2030

Postby DJK73 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Rissy
I think you've took my post the wrong way mate

my comment was not meant sarcasticly it was an invitation for you to help me help biff that's all

I thought that's what this club was all about

Again sorry if I upset you it wasn't meant that way

Cheers

Dan
Dbro4
Ex Vin#10223
Grey interior, Manual
Spaxed
Free flow
DJK73

VIN #: 10223
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:19 pm

I wasn't upset. (Note sure what made you think that?) I'm just advising I wasn't going to be at Norfolk, so tried to give some advice to replace my assistance, that's all.
I'll be in sunny Greece, sunning my puny milk bottle white complection into a nice lobster red instead ;-)
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby DJK73 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Well have a good holiday
Im guessing it is a holiday?
I'm sure we'll sort it out whilst your getting burnt
Cheers
Dan
Dbro4
Ex Vin#10223
Grey interior, Manual
Spaxed
Free flow
DJK73

VIN #: 10223
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 am

Holiday yeah.

Madam DESPERATE to get away for a week. I'm quite sure if I went missing whilst there, she wouldn't even notice. Lol!
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:22 am

For what it's worth I discovered my steering wheel was a spline out after having the alignment done. Darren C kindly sent me a specially customised puller and I moved it over one. Now steers dead straight. So this may just be what Andy needs too! Looking forward to getting it sorted in Norfolk :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:23 pm

So I'm starting to think I'm missing something here. Can someone educate me?

My question is: what's the difference between the splines on the steering wheel and the splines at the other end of the steering column where the upper UJ connects?
Rissy

May 1981 vin#1458
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior

Main Car(s):

Rissy

Postby delorean12uk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Rissy wrote:So I'm starting to think I'm missing something here. Can someone educate me?

My question is: what's the difference between the splines on the steering wheel and the splines at the other end of the steering column where the upper UJ connects?

Nothing, but you want to make the job as simpler as you can. I have only adjusted the steering via either the steering wheel or the Track Rod Ends, never touched the U.J's on the bottom of the column. Actually thats a fib, I did once when Mec's column come adrift from the rack a few years back en route to Caley. If the rack is that much out the wheels can scrap the anti roll bar on one side, in which case just wind on/wind off the Track rod ends on each side to correct the error. Simples!!
Would you mind giving Clare and Phil my best regards next time you see them please????
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted