couple of parts needed.

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Re: couple of parts needed.

Postby DeLorean Cars » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 pm

InoX wrote:Martin, the fuel tank plate has a bend in it on the leading edge where those nuts are (to accommodate sliding above the frame lip in that area.) so it wouldn't be a straight cut job, i suppose.

Well, officially, but it's only a very slight kink, and assuming you're not using boiler plate, it'll bend itself to shape when you fit it. Seeng your photo on the dark side, I think you need to drop the tank and check out the state of the chassis there mate, it looks very bad. There's an enclosed tubular section at the top which has to be solid for the car to be safe.

No intention of going stainless for the tubes - why wouldn't you, though? is it that electrolysis people talk about

Yes, the effect being in direct proportion to the surface area in contact with the coolant. A coolant bottle is arguable, but even Toby P weighted in at the suggestion of using stainless pipework. The Alpine guys have steel pipework and the coolant is always brown no matter how well kept the car. On the other hand, a 28 year old DeLorean that has never been touched will drop beautifully clean green anti-freeze when opened. Stick to Ally, and look after the coolant is my advice.

I sent you an e-mail regarding fuel lines and brake set-up in July (i didn't respond to your response, though - i think i went out on the piss, instead - i do apologise). I'l take a set of those lovely fuel lines off you. paypal?

Thanks! got the order - I will send out tomorrow. I can also do the full engine bay set for £199 - hoping Andy Snell will post a photo or two of his set which I supplied this week.

I think i also asked about front brake disks and why i couldn't use capri front rotors

Don't remember that Q ;) But the answer is because the DeLorean discs are unique.

any ideas on front vented disks? Can't afford a full kit ATM, though :( I'm reassembling the front suspension and need the front rotors before everything else....

Ed still does vented front discs, but IMO what's the point if you don't also fit vented discs to the rear, where the car can safely use a large part of its braking?

Front discs from Powerstop, but I can prolly save you a few bob cos I get a discount.

Ignoring my 4-pot kit (more details soon), the best setup by far is rebuilt original calipers, original solid discs, a 50/50 master cylinder and EBC redstuff pads (that use the heat generated by the solid discs). You won't regret it. This setup easily out-brakes an Alpine GTA - I had both on the MOT rollers a day apart.
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Postby InoX » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:35 pm

DeLorean Cars wrote:
Well, officially, but it's only a very slight kink, and assuming you're not using boiler plate, it'll bend itself to shape when you fit it. Seeng your photo on the dark side, I think you need to drop the tank and check out the state of the chassis there mate, it looks very bad. There's an enclosed tubular section at the top which has to be solid for the car to be safe.

I'll take your 'looks pretty bad' and raise you: FRAME OFF!

DeLorean Cars wrote:Yes, the effect being in direct proportion to the surface area in contact with the coolant. A coolant bottle is arguable, but even Toby P weighted in at the suggestion of using stainless pipework. The Alpine guys have steel pipework and the coolant is always brown no matter how well kept the car. On the other hand, a 28 year old DeLorean that has never been touched will drop beautifully clean green anti-freeze when opened. Stick to Ally, and look after the coolant is my advice.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a tank plate to proto making a stainless plate. I spoke to Shannon (bloke in texas on DMCtalk) about acquiring his proto plate (from which he made his stainless ones from). The shipping was $225 alone. If i can't source one here in the UK, I'll have to go to him as a last resort :)

DeLorean Cars wrote:Thanks! got the order - I will send out tomorrow. I can also do the full engine bay set for £199 - hoping Andy Snell will post a photo or two of his set which I supplied this week.

I have no intention of running k-jet. :) but thanks anyway

DeLorean Cars wrote:Don't remember that Q ;) But the answer is because the DeLorean discs are unique.

using unique parts? no wonder Delorean went out of business! :lol: :P

DeLorean Cars wrote:Ed still does vented front discs, but IMO what's the point if you don't also fit vented discs to the rear, where the car can safely use a large part of its braking?

Front discs from Powerstop, but I can prolly save you a few bob cos I get a discount.

Ignoring my 4-pot kit (more details soon), the best setup by far is rebuilt original calipers, original solid discs, a 50/50 master cylinder and EBC redstuff pads (that use the heat generated by the solid discs). You won't regret it. This setup easily out-brakes an Alpine GTA - I had both on the MOT rollers a day apart.

I should have qualified my requirement for *better* brakes: I'm sticking in a 3ltr prv I pulled from a lag last year. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I'd like matched braking. Would you still recommend solid disks and standard calipers?

nothing from 'hispec' in the 4 pot variety that'll work?

cheers
Dave.
InoX

Postby Admin-bloke » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:13 pm

Are you replacing the frame InoX or restoring it?
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby InoX » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 pm

already been restored by ed. the thing is in my garage under the car waiting on castle nuts and a LH trailing arm (Ed sent two RH ones by mistake!) and a decision from me as to which brake disks to go with.

oooo

Dave.
InoX

Postby tourettes tony » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 pm

I have a standard set of rebuilt calipers on my car and find them adequate, mainly because if i break to heavy they lock up.
So really changing them for better calipers will just make them lock up easier if you get my drift, it wont stop any quicker TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby InoX » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:03 pm

yeah, i get ya. there's not much weight at the front, i suppose :)
InoX

Postby tourettes tony » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

they are a 60/40 split so light at the front ie its not a lotus :D TT
vin# freedom :)
X factor winner 2009
Yorkshire squirt winner 2009
Officially no more engine rebuilds well maybe 2 more :)

If you need any Tech help, don't ask
Club Cultural Ambassador and Official Tourettes Tutor
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
tourettes tony

VIN #: 30035

Postby DeLorean Cars » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 am

Original brake bias is 68/32 to the FRONT. I would still recommend sticking with solid discs, a 50/50 m/c and Redstuffs, yes.
DeLorean Cars

VIN #: 4772, 3352

Postby InoX » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:43 pm

how much for a pair of solids, please? :)

jesus 68pc to the back? :roll: :?

What would happen if you just swapped the two lines coming out of the master and give 68 to the rear and 32 to the front? anyone tried that? anyone killed?
InoX

Postby Admin-bloke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:21 pm

InoX wrote:how much for a pair of solids, please? :)

jesus 68pc to the back? :roll: :?

What would happen if you just swapped the two lines coming out of the master and give 68 to the rear and 32 to the front? anyone tried that? anyone killed?

What a good idea !!!!!!!!!
Fancy experimenting on that one InoX ??
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted