Waterproof Car Cover? Any recommendations?

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Waterproof Car Cover? Any recommendations?

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I haven't posted yet as I didn't want to jinx my purchase. But now it's gone through, I'm looking around for a car cover for my Delorean. Sadly the garage is too narrow to get it in, so it will be drive way kept. So of course I want to protect it best I can.

Can anybody recommend a heavy duty, water/wind proof car cover (ideally tailor fit)?

Thank you,
Luke
CrazyPropGeek

VIN #: 3412

Re: Waterproof Car Cover? Any recommendations?

Postby delorean12uk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Luke, personally I wouldn't keep it under a car cover, believe or not they will get damp between the cover and the car. Can you not build a car port/canopy over the area you wish to store it??? really you need some sort of air gap between the car and what ever medium you use to cover it. Congrats on the purchase of your car, can you tell us a bit about it???
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Sadly I can't build a car port, the driveway is quite narrow, and believe it or not I'm only 21 and still living at home. So the parents wouldn't be best pleased. I've recently decided to get a DMC on the basis that I'm studying engineering at OU for 6 years, and therefore can't move out in that time. If I'm gonna be stuck at home for six years, why not do it in some style.

The car is a 1981, grey interior, manual. VIN 3412. I'm currently awaiting it to be shipped over by PJGrady for a little work before I get to see her. Can't wait!

Are there any further recommendations for keeping it dry? I've kept a Morris Traveler on the driveway for two years now, and the car cover started to rip in a lot of areas from the strong winds. I'm worried that the Delorean would start gathering water similar to how my traveler now is.

great to talk to you all at last,
Luke
CrazyPropGeek

Postby Dan 6511 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Congrats on the purchase.

What about a Car Coon for it?

Sell it Or Sorn it

Road trips:
2008: Mervyn's Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2008: DMC Europe Open House
2009: DMC Europe Open House
2009: Royal Delorean Weekend, Ireland
2010: Silvercoast, France
2010: Shanefest, Ireland
2010: Luxemburg & Nurburgring
2011: Eurofest, Belfast
2019: International DeLorean Meeting, Hamburg
Dan 6511

Postby arranj » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:14 pm

I used and still use a "Breathable Fleece Lined" cover from http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/ - it's as good as it gets but I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons Luke says.
I have seen reports of people using 3 covers - which sounds like a better solution - i.e. a soft semi-fitted one first, then a breathable fitted one, then a big-ass tarpaulin over the top. Not great if you plan on using the car regularly though.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:30 pm

What are the measurements of your garage Luke? I have one in a block that's rented from the local council, which isn't exactly spacious. But she will just go in.

Congratulations on the purchase, and well done for choosing the more popular and more powerful manual variant :thumbsup:
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Part of the answer will depend on the condition of 3412. If it is a "project car" / "daily driver" with less than perfect stainless and fascias, a suitably sized outdoor rated cover will probably be fine, but just plan to change it every year as it will disintegrate.

If the stainless is perfect, then a two or three layer approach would be justified.

With a single layer, the movement of the cover, particularly if there is any dust or grit on the car, can add fine scratches, even with the fleece (what part of the country are you in? That's why a second inner layer helps protect it.

Mine is outside in a thunderstorm as we speak, normally under two layers - an outdoor rated one, covered, oddly enough by a soft inner one. The reason being, that the outdoor one I ended up with (with a 5 year warranty) is bright gold, so I cover it with the indoor one to reduce complaints from the neighbours :). I added a tarp this morning as I knew a really heavy storm was coming through.

It is important to remove the covers occasionally and let everything breathe
Dermot
vin 2743
Ex-Dunmurry-ite,
but now nr. Atlanta GA
US o'A

Vin 2743 – Black, Auto, non-lowered, non-Spaxed, non-carbed, non-turbo’d, non-de-catted, just as Neal drove it on the boat in August ‘81
Dangermouse

VIN #: 2743

Postby delorean12uk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:23 pm

MikeWard wrote: and well done for choosing the more popular and more powerful manual variant :thumbsup:

It's his first D, give the lad a chance, he will soon realise and work his way up to more desirable model, the one that everyone would like...........the mighty AUTO!!!!
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby MikeWard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Well that's my fishing done for today. I caught a monk ;)
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Easy lads. I'm only a young'en. More power means higher insurance! :P

For now, I just wanted the same model used in Back To The Future, so thats what I looked for.

One of the car's I'm selling at the moment is a Ghostbusters Morris Traveler (WOODY-1: The British ECTO-1). So you can tell where my Delorean may go over the years. But I have one rule, If it's not removable, it's not happening. All of the Ghostbusters parts to WOODY-1 are magnetic, or easily unbolted. (A little more tricky with a Delorean)

This is WOODY-1's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BritishEcto1

Thanks for all the info on car covers etc. It really is a shame I can't make a car port. Sadly the garage in normally filled with my film & TV props, Daleks, Stormtrooper etc... along with dad's mountain bikes. So no space to pull it in even if I wanted to.

I will look for an exterior and interior car cover for rainy weather. But let it breathe in the overcast days (no sun in Chippenham, Wiltshire). Has anyone bought a Car Coon for outside use? That looks rather good, I have to say.
CrazyPropGeek

Next

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted