Cat bypass pipe?

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Cat bypass pipe?

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 am

Hey all,

I've been looking for a cat bypass pipe, and wondered if anyone had one spare. The prices I've found so far are around £144 from DMC Europe, and £140 + VAT + P&P from the guys who are recommended on here (making DMC Europe cheaper) . Is there a discount if we order in bulk, or through the club?

Any help with this would be appreciated, :D
Luke
CrazyPropGeek

VIN #: 3412

Re: Cat bypass pipe?

Postby MikeWard » Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 am

You could try Don at Stainless Exhaust in Nottingham, they have a jig now to make these up:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4802&p=65346

Alternatively, just live with it as-is for now and save your money for the full system - it's worth every penny.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby arranj » Wed May 18, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Luke,

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/cat-bypass-e ... nless.html - is £125. Granted it isn't in stock at the moment, but it is expected to be again within about 1 month. That is the DeLorean Europe one - you will find they are actually out of stock too. When the stocks arrive we will have it cheaper.

"The guys who are recommended on here"....? Is that the same place as Mike's link? You phoned them? Was is really £140+VAT? That seems quite a steep increase? Also bear in mind you'll need to factor in an installation kit - http://www.deloreanclub.uk/catalytic-co ... n-kit.html for that option, unlike the £125 one that comes with one.

Bulk ordering to get that price down - the demand isn't really there, but there has been talk of trying to get a few full stainless systems from Don, if we go to him with a big order we may be able to get the price down if ordered at the same time. But it won't be a lot I doubt.

I expect you'll find someone eventually who has upgraded to the real thing, so might have their old one for sale - it does happen from time to time.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Daniel Shane » Wed May 18, 2016 1:00 pm

This is the company I used to make them from the DMCL days

http://anviltubesmithssouthernltd.co.uk/index.html

Might be worth asking them ?

Dan
Dan Shane
DCUK 008
Ex VIN 4754

The Black Stig
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Daniel Shane

VIN #: Ex 4754

Postby Delta Delorean » Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Bulk ordering to get that price down - the demand isn't really there, but there has been talk of trying to get a few full stainless systems from Don, if we go to him with a big order we may be able to get the price down if ordered at the same time. But it won't be a lot I doubt.

I would like to get a full stainless system for my car.
Indeed the cat bypass pipe seems like a waste of money.
Is there already a list for people that also want one?
Delta Delorean

VIN #: 5823

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Wed May 18, 2016 2:39 pm

I would like a full system at some point, but there are a lot more "safety" related updates/replacements I'd rather spend my money on the the next few years, so I'd rather get the pipe for now.

Yep, I got an e-mail back from Don saying:
"Luke,
Thank you for your enquiry, the pipe is £140 plus vat and shipping.
Regards
Don."

This seemed a little steep when comparing to what I've read, so I thought I'd best ask before buying. I'm happy I did!

I'll wait till the end of the month to get one from the store on here. Is it possible to be alerted when it comes back in stock please? I don't want to miss out by accident. :lol:

A massive thank you everybody for all the info!! You guys are always a great help! :D

Luke
CrazyPropGeek

Postby arranj » Wed May 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Just press the "sign up to be notified when back in stock" button on there - http://www.deloreanclub.uk/cat-bypass-e ... nless.html - the site will email you automatically.
Rather than the end of the month, I am expecting them in about 1 month. They are being made right now - but where and how long before they get to Ed, and then to us I don't know for sure.
I don't know how many we'll get, but it will be a few anyway I'd have thought.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Wed May 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you Arran! I'll do that now.

Luke
CrazyPropGeek

Postby jwrayth » Wed May 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Since you'll be pulling the exhaust to fit this, check your your upper exhaust hanger in advance of ordering the bypass pipe. Mine failed last year whilst coming home from a drive, and since then I've observed the same failure pending on another DeLorean. The OEM version was never designed fo a 30+ year life :)

You can either weld the old one, or buy an improved version from the club shop.

I know you are on a budget, but the full SS exhaust re-uses this same hanger I believe, so it's not a wasted investment if yours is showing signs of fatigue.
jwrayth

VIN #: 4494
Spaxed

Postby CrazyPropGeek » Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Seeing that I'll be saving £20+ by getting the pipe from the shop, an extra £45 seems like a good call for a "safety" feature :) Thank's for the heads up!!
CrazyPropGeek

Next

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted