Coil Springs

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Coil Springs

Postby mcelhone » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Have a car with a lowered suspension, would like to return to standard Euro spec.. Need a set of springs
mcelhone

VIN #: 6100.707,4375

Re: Coil Springs

Postby bandit » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 am

Why ???????
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:05 am

I think he is asking for a set of euro spec springs. I.e these https://www.deloreango.com/en/lower-fro ... -pair.html

Perhaps he has a car that has been lowered by a previous owner using the American 'standard lowering' of chopping the original springs.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby arranj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 am

mcelhone wrote:standard Euro spec.

Could you clarify what you mean? There is no such thing as "standard Euro spec" on an American car ;)
There is the "design height" - which is the slightly lower type commonly sold - as per Mike's link. Or the "as sold with the car" height, the higher type stipulated by American law at the time that was fitted to cars originally - these will be available used from people that have imported cars and changed the springs.

mcelhone wrote:set of springs

just the fronts or the rears as well? The rears tend to always be the same height whether new or old.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby mcelhone » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:22 pm

To Clarify, I would like to return the car to "Design Height"I have a early vin car with a lowered suspension . If there is anyone out there who has lowered there car and has a set of springs they would sell i would be interested in buying.. Thanks
mcelhone

Postby arranj » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Semi-unrelated, bit of history to clarify. Working on the assumption that there are 2 heights of the fronts (rears are always the same except where adjustable shocks e.g. :spax: are used) - the lower height (right of pic) is the "design height" - this is the style as designed by Lotus/Giugiaro etc., and the type present on the prototype cars - the higher height (left of pic) is the "factory height", supposedly as a result of a legal requirement for bumper height as the car went into production. There were apparently a few different colour-coded springs used in the QA process to get the cars the same/correct height, bearing in mind that no car was ever quite the same.

Other factors will obviously play a role in the height of the front of the car, e.g. the spring isolator, and old springs will sag over time, at varying rates depending on the metal quality. Plus as mentioned above, some cars will naturally be lower looking than others. Old "lower" springs combined with old rubber will probably be very very low.

So the lower type is the type commonly sold these days as it matches how the car was designed (right of pic), but you presumably want a set of used "high" factory springs (left of pic), which you'll find plenty of in people's garages I would have thought if they haven't been thrown away (mine were) - ideally you want a set of low mileage ones if you want it really high, otherwise you'll get a set of sagged ones and be back to square one again.

Technically there would be a third height, which as Mike says was a trend a few years ago to buy a set of rear springs and chop a bit off of them - these would then of course make the car whatever height the owner chose - potentially really really low.
Attachments
lowered front.jpg
lowered front.jpg (94.74 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby mcelhone » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Located a set of springs, so thanks to everyone for all the great input...
mcelhone

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted