[WANTED] Original Engine for sale in the UK

Post your DeLorean Parts wanted here

Re: [WANTED] Original Engine for sale in the UK

Postby alanoftheyear » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:25 pm

jerzybondov wrote:It's amazing the difference 10 years makes isn't it? There was a time Volvo 760s were plentiful and none of us considered that down the line it would be hard getting hold of venturis, dizzys or engines themselves. And second hand Volvo dealers were happy to give them away for beans too. I got mine in July 2010 for £250+VAT from Braydon Motors, and that was a 48k miler that came out of a tidy 760.

Having said that, it was rare to see a 760 with mileage that low then. But at least there were more on the road - if you look at howmanyleft.co.uk, there were 1,000 760GLEs kicking round ten years ago. Now just 10% of that - and most of those aren't even the B28E, they're the later EFI engine.

Alan - have you been in touch with Chris N? He might have an engine or two kicking around...

So whatever it costs to get hold of a good one now, it's a pretty good bet that it'll be much more again in a few years. Grab them now whilst you can!

The original engine was given to Chris N in exchange for the bodywork a few years ago, doubt he still has that, might be worth asking anyway :)
alanoftheyear

Postby arranj » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Hmm yes, Martin's one on Ebay. You'd perhaps need to clarify the situation with the lower crankcase as it's not entirely clear if it is included with the sale and/or why it is residing with Chris and even if Chris still has it.
Certainly that engine went into another car, and whilst it's possible Chris might have another engine he would part with (he didn't a few weeks ago), factor in a pretty high cost to prise it from him, obviously Chris gets through a lot of engines.
Despite the missing engine, I would say using a normal B28 engine would be the easiest route to go down, rather than being the first(?), or certainly one of very very few people to use a Volvo B280. Option 3, a Renault 2.5 Turbo conversion would be a challenge. Of the 2 I know of that were done commercially, 1 went back to a stock engine, and another is currently in a workshop 12 months into being rebuilt (actually I think this was the same engine, just 2 different cars).
The engine might be the least of your worries though :)
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby DJK73 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:38 pm

If you want it and are not bothered about it being original then look at it as an opportunity to fit a modern engine. Don’t have to go mad like an LS swap. But I’m sure you could fit a modern 3.0 V6 in there from an Audi or VW maybe??
Dbro4
Ex Vin#10223
Grey interior, Manual
Spaxed
Free flow
DJK73

VIN #: 10223
Spaxed

Postby MikeWard » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:39 pm

arranj wrote:The engine might be the least of your worries though :)

Never a truer word spoken, that eBay car has got nightmare written all over it.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:31 pm

MikeWard wrote:

There's certainly a lot that needs to get sorted with it! Is the seller known to the club?
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 pm

jerzybondov wrote:
MikeWard wrote:

There's certainly a lot that needs to get sorted with it! Is the seller known to the club?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

MikeWard wrote:

Might be an opportunity to build the first ‘rat rod’ D’
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby DMC1983 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 pm

Are you sure this car is for you alan? I know youve said to me youre not really mechanically minded but this looks like a big nightmarish job. Will you be doing the work yourself or getting someone else to do it?

Dont let your heart rule on this one. I know you want a delorean but are you sure this is the one for you?

I assume its this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-DeLorean-UK-project-car-NR-/323901621422
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby arranj » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:52 am

jerzybondov wrote:
MikeWard wrote:

Yes, his name is Martin G., relatively well known (although not so much these days) long time owner and tinkererer (his words not mine ;) )
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

[WANTED] Original Engine for sale in the UK

Postby alanoftheyear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am

DMC1983 wrote:Are you sure this car is for you alan? I know youve said to me youre not really mechanically minded but this looks like a big nightmarish job. Will you be doing the work yourself or getting someone else to do it?

Dont let your heart rule on this one. I know you want a delorean but are you sure this is the one for you?

I assume its this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-DeLorean-UK-project-car-NR-/323901621422

Honestly, I’m not sure I could do the full restoration on this one. My idea though is, if I can get this, even do some minor work and then I realise I can’t finish it, I can still sell it for the same or more.

I went see the car, all in all looks 99% complete, solid chassis and perfect stainless. Main issue seems to be the engine, which can be sorted out with time (or money later on).

Could be a long term project or something to start practicing on and then sell.

I think if I can get this in at around the price is now (not willing to go much above this), it’ll be worth just to have it and keep it dry, work on it as much as I can or save till I can get someone else to do the work. If all else fails, I’ll just sell it back.

I honestly think this is a better deal than the BHCC one with all the rust (and it’s a manual).

Plus it’s the closest to me I’ve ever had so transport is mega cheap!

We’ll see :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanoftheyear

PreviousNext

Return to DeLorean Parts Wanted