can an individual make DMC 12 parts and sell them

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

can an individual make DMC 12 parts and sell them

Postby Spudmurphy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 am

... I know it's a strange question ...I mean people make after market Delorean repro parts and sell them. You see examples of upgraded hinges, brackets for the Delorean.

So if someone were to make a s/steel panel - lets just say a roof T section, (they have all the technological kit to do so). - Would it be illegal to sell them? ... is it infringing intellectual property?... just thinking out loud really.

http://www.coulsonrule.com/87-what_is_a ... right.html

http://www.thedesigntrust.co.uk/design- ... er-makers/
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Re: can an individual make DMC 12 parts and sell them

Postby arranj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:07 am

In the case of general parts - say for any car - if I need a wiper blade for my car I have over 100 brands to choose from - I don't think a car maker is able to claim copyright over the majority of the parts on a car, for whatever reason I don't know.

In the specific case of the DeLorean - who do you think is going to sue you? The company went bankrupt. If you were to, for example, try building an entire new car and try to sell 100 of them as a "DeLorean" then the estate of John DeLorean would probably file a complaint, but I would guess even their ownership is questionable - case in point: http://www.trademarkologist.com/2015/02/5283/ - where Stephen Wynne's excessive PR campaign claiming he was building "new" cars landed him in hot water and he settled out of court with Mrs. DeLorean.
In regard to specific parts, I don't believe the IP is owned by anyone. This also applies to the original logos and is often discussed - the "new" DeLorean company in Texas have registered a different version of the DMC logo as theirs, but no-one would be able to re-register the original logos as their own, as they were never sold, and aren't new now. That said, there are plenty of examples where Stephen Wynne's company have complained to enthusiasts who have made anything with the letters "DMC" on them, but from a legal point of view they have no claim to exclusive use of the letters "DMC". Here is the expired trademark for example - https://www.inovia.com/products/directo ... or-company
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby ROBLAMROCK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 pm

ROBLAMROCK

Postby arranj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:20 pm

ROBLAMROCK wrote:https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-challenge-decision-results/o32015.pdf

Not exactly related to making parts (although they did claim to be making fenders, that wasn't the reason for the complaint - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5223 ) - this was a case of a gentleman by the name of Hassan Webb trying to register a "De Lorean" as a trademark and Stephen Wynne fighting this not on the basis that it was his, but that Hassan Webb wasn't using it - hence Mr. Webb then trying to prove he was by "making" left front fenders. This guy tried the same trick with a number of other companies. This certainly doesn't stop anyone from making a DeLorean fender.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby Darren C » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Spud, who makes upgraded brackets for Deloreans ? ;)
@classiccarguru1
Darren C

VIN #: 4532
Spaxed

Postby Spudmurphy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 pm

ooooooh pray tell lol - I see your in Emsworth. have (rich) rellies who send their kids to a private school near there (I'm sure my memory isn't playing games) .
i have my "stainless steel man" paying me a visit on Sunday - hope it will be an interesting chat.
Spudmurphy

Postby DMCTodayMichael » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 am

I think you are perfectly fine as long as you do not use the trademarked names/logos. There have been quite a few people make parts for these cars with no problems, although I seem to remember one guy who made some side window air vents(they force air into the cabin) and he had "DMC" stamped on them, which he caught some flak over it if i remember right, and I never heard from him again nor saw his product after that-my memory is very clouded on that but the point is, as long as you do not infringe upon registered trademarks, I think you are 100% fine.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did watch that Matlock episode where Don Knotts got a DeLorean.
DMCTodayMichael

VIN #: 5609

Postby delorean12uk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:17 pm

a spare wheel
- a tool kit for front compartment

I have both of them
Vin: Friday afternoon car, because the bastard thing likes to break all the time

Daily Maintenance a Certainty

Delorean Enthusiasts Love Official Reunions Especially At Norfolk

DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
delorean12uk

VIN #: 4989

Postby Spudmurphy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:29 am

Cheers for that ... Well I'm interested in both ... have pm'd you.

I have my first shopping list for essential parts and although these items are not "essential" to getting it MOT'd and registered in the UK - they are parts on my wish list.
Spudmurphy

Postby CDNeal » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:56 pm

I wish some one would make a steering column cover. p.s. i am new here so sorry if i am out of turn.
CDNeal

VIN #: 5550
Spaxed

Next

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat