vin 814

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

Re: vin 814

Postby arranj » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 am

As per both of the recall notices - on the anti-roll bar -it is the thin nut on first, then the thick nut on last. The thin nut just spins on, the thick nut has a self-locking quality to it, it's not a plain nut.
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 pm

A few hundred miles recently, without too many issues. In fact, its been pretty good over the summer since I did the fuel pump, nothing major at all.

So after putting it off for a couple of years, I finally got round to fitting the club exhaust.

I have documented this here -->

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5726

Thanks to all involved- would have been a mission on my back, on damp ground, finding out things for myself first hand.

After fitting, we increased fuel pressure slightly. I had already checked this a year or so ago, after NickT rebuilt my CPR, so it wasn't a mile off. Then we set the mixture under Nick's tutelage, via WhatsApp.

One thing I noticed recently, prior to fitting the exhaust was that it had developed a high idle, at around 1500. Previously it was always rock solid at around 850-900.

I managed to get the car warm today, and tried to have a bit of a play with it. The high idle is massively irritating, but the new pipes do rather take me by surprise pulling out of greasy junctions. Back end spinning a bit with an injudicious right foot- better check those tyre pressures!!

The high idle was simply down to the butterflies not closing completely- I have never had the intake off since I bought the car over 6 years ago, so this is long overdue. I have lubed both the spool and the springs, but I probably need to get this off, and give it a good going over. There also a whole lot of play in the linkage- I'd like to address this too. I couldn't sort it with just lube. When I do it, I'll also set the throttle cable free play a bit better too. All small things, that make a big difference to the driving experience, and overall feel of the car. Like the rattly bits inside my doors, but I'll get to that in time!!

Next big job is going in to the valley I think, so think I will take my time over this. And at the same time it will be vac pipes, injectors, fuel lines, dizzy service, and just generally make good. And pray no block rot!!

Cheers,

Andy
andyd

VIN #: 814

Postby andyd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Oh, yeah, and I found this too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/westernsmt/31994492632

Looks quite good in the rain!
andyd

Postby andyd » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Ok, a fresh MOT obtained at 84555 miles, but not without a stuck thermostat at the MOT place. Thankfully, my normally pretty slow brain noticed that the fans weren't kicking in. New(ish) pancake fans, on a new rad, all silicone hoses, and screw in otterstat, so they should be working.

But the rad was cold, as were the pipes. I thought either the water pump had failed or the thermostat had failed shut.

MOT man (who is super good, and always up for a bit of "play time"!) dived in, confirmed the pump was turning, and ditched my (untouched in my ownership :oops: ) crusty old stat. The coolant was only two years old, but it had stuck shut with a bit of crust having not been used since last October. Without seals or gaskets, the North London garage man is undeterred knowing full well that half a can of black RTV squashing out everywhere its applied can only be a good thing!! :lol:

And how did I get an MOT when I needed yet another wash bottle motor??!! :whistle: Thats one for "Tales of the Unexpected"....

Anyway, I've had a full set of vac hoses and fuel lines in my loft for ages. And whats the point of standing on the side of the M25 watching your D go up in flames, wishing you had ditched those OEM Dunmurry fuel lines??

I needed to helicoil on of the M7 threads for the ram horns, replace the stat, replace all the vac lines I could get to, and do the fuel lines. I had plugs (not needed, but done anyway), a dizzy cap and rotor (both fucked), and I wanted to make make sure the throttle butterflies were closing fully.

So I took off the metering head, but didnt have the balls to go into the valley just yet. That will be next. But I now know what WON'T need done when I do go in.

I replaced the throttle cable with one which I had actually been very kindly send by Bozzzy ages ago. I always carried it as a spare just in case. But now I fitted it, and thanked him for it, wherever he is now. Its actually got a really nice (D-perfect!) end on it at the pedal end. A small thing, but quite important to me at least. Thanks mate, I never did get to buy you a pint for it.

I having done all the fuel lines, vac lines, I set up the throttle as per Nick T's instructions.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5823

(previously, after fitting the new exhaust Nick and Dan had set the mixture and fuel pressures, so they were as good as they could be made at the time- thanks guys)

And its all good! A nice solid idle about 900 rpm (tho my slotted brass screw is nearly fully home), the pedal feels better, and I can enjoy the little bit extra power with the exhaust. Its a good bit noisier too! All the more reason to wish for a low burble, at idle as opposed to a slightly obnoxious noise at 1500 rpm!!

Well, something will break soon, and I'll update, and if not then maybe I'll get round to either the fusebox (thats just 3 years now) the D reverse, or the waterpump, or the fog and brake light mod.

(Or maybe I'll just replace my washbottle and the OEM motor Arran sent me)

Andy
andyd

Postby Admin-bloke » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 pm

All good stuff Andy :D
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby bandit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Nice up date Dr Duncan, jobs a good ‘en.
bandit

VIN #: 7024
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 am

Andy, every post you make like this makes me think I should have tried a little harder to dissuade you from buying into the DMC experience when we were emailing all those years ago :)

Can I ask who your friendly North London MOT place is by the way? Windscreen squirter motors are the bane of my MOT life too...
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby A Van » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Epic post

Good work maya hope to see you in June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alistair V

Vin 11753 - B/Auto - Kuwait, painted black
Ex Vin 11766 - B/Auto - Dubai
Ex 11622, 6064

RIP Mike 'Bozzy' Bosworth 19/04/1969 - 31/12/2015

Official Spokesperson and Media Liaison Officer, and off road Buggy flipper
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
A Van

VIN #: 11753
Spaxed

Postby andyd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 am

Yes mate, June for sure!

For my own Info, changed the coolant (well, half of it anyway) at 84,568.

Fitted an oem washbottle pump and new seal. The latter was hard! Drilled even more, bigger holes in wash bottle holder. Lets see how long that motor lasts..... bets anyone?!

Andy
andyd

Postby MikeWard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am

andyd wrote:Fitted an oem washbottle pump and new seal. The latter was hard! Drilled even more, bigger holes in wash bottle holder. Lets see how long that motor lasts..... bets anyone?!

24 months, tops. :)
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

PreviousNext

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans