Importing a De Lorean from the US

DeLorean Cars For Sale or DeLorean Cars Wanted

Importing a De Lorean from the US

Postby Steveblackshark » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 am

Hi,
I am contemplating buying a 1983 manual DMC 12 that is currently up for $32,500 and have been quoted $1600 for shipping to Southampton + $150 for towing and 2% of value for insurance. Obviously I would need to get it transported from Southampton to my home near Blackpool.

Can anyone advise me on any other costs that I am likely to incur such as import duty costs and anything else I need to be mindful of?, or any potential pitfalls of buying a car unseen.

Many thanks

Steve
Steveblackshark

Re: Importing a De Lorean from the US

Postby MikeWard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am

Hi Steve, we have a section dedicated to importing a DeLorean back into the UK which covers all aspects relating to the import process, through to MOT and registering the car with the DVLA.

Start with this thread and work your way through the subthreads; viewtopic.php?f=148&t=5130

To answer your question though, import duty is waived as the car was originally manufacturer in the UK, and VAT is reduced down to 5%, payable on the purchase price of the car, plus the shipping. This is covered in the import section I linked to above.
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby Spudmurphy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 am

MikeWard wrote:Hi Steve, we have a section dedicated to importing a DeLorean back into the UK which covers all aspects relating to the import process, through to MOT and registering the car with the DVLA.

Start with this thread and work your way through the subthreads; viewtopic.php?f=148&t=5130

To answer your question though, import duty is waived as the car was originally manufacturer in the UK, and VAT is reduced down to 5%, payable on the purchase price of the car, plus the shipping. This is covered in the import section I linked to above.

Just thinking out loud - I work for HMRC but have nothing at all to do with VAT.

I thought it was 5% on the purchase price of the car and full VAT on the shipping fees?
Vin 11789 one of the 50 Middle Eastern Cars
Spudmurphy

VIN #: 11789

Postby MikeWard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Spudmurphy wrote:I thought it was 5% on the purchase price of the car and full VAT on the shipping fees?

It's not, thankfully it's 5% on both. :thumbsup:
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby Admin-bloke » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Buying a car unseen is not advisable really. If you really want to go down that route, get pictures of the chassis and bodywork of the car at the very lease, videos of the engine running etc etc.

If the car is in America then join dmctalk.org and ask if a member there's works nearby etc.

Mind you, using the search engine here "Ask Arran" will give you the full history of the car if you get the Vin number :D
Admin-bloke, "The D Whisperer"
Pie n Pint Northerner....
Vin #4068 - y'official "Mighty Auto" test car for Admin-bloke tuning.

https://www.justgiving.com/campnibble

Forum Founder [means I just installed it........] and Tech Help
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
Admin-bloke

VIN #: 4068
Spaxed

Postby jerzybondov » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Admin-bloke wrote:
Mind you, using the search engine here "Ask Arran" will give you the full history of the car if you get the Vin number :D

LOL! :D
VIN 7176
Official Club Reaper Extraordinaire.
jerzybondov

VIN #: 7176
Spaxed

Postby Delta Delorean » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 am

Admin-bloke wrote:Buying a car unseen is not advisable really. If you really want to go down that route, get pictures of the chassis and bodywork of the car at the very lease, videos of the engine running etc etc.

If the car is in America then join dmctalk.org and ask if a member there's works nearby etc.

+ 1 on that
How are you going to pay for it?
I suggest you find a shipping company that offers a escrow service. This way you don't lose all your money on some scam. It will cost about 500$ but makes it a safe transaction.
There always are a few things that will disapoint when you buy a car unseen when it arrives. Ask the right questions before you buy and get detailed picture's. I bought my D unseen and have never seen another one with a better frame! So IT can turn out good if you do your homework before you buy it.
Delta Delorean

VIN #: 5823

Return to DeLorean Cars For Sale / Wanted