Importing a car to Australia

Welcome to the DeLorean Club Forum, this area is for general DeLorean chat

Importing a car to Australia

Postby KatS » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 am

Hi everyone! Hope all good your side (of the world) :greetings-waveyellow:
I have finally decided to bring my car over here to Australia. It's about time; it's sitting in a garage in Germany while I am in Sydney and unlikely to go anywhere soon.
I need help regarding asbestos in a Delorean as the Aussies won't let any asbestos-containing parts in. Does anybody have a full list of parts that contain asbestos? Has anybody got experience with this requirement?! I mean, identifying and removing the parts is one thing, but actually proving that the car is then asbestos free afterwards is another thing. It just seems so complicated (also as I am here, and the car is there ... ) :|
Thanks so much for any advice!!!!
Kathi
KatS

VIN #: 07184

Re: Importing a car to Australia

Postby MikeWard » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi Kathi,

You might be best off speaking to Tyson (hana 5284 on here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=69) as he imported his car to Australia several years ago so will be familiar with the process.

In terms of parts which contain asbestos I believe you are looking at the following:
-original brake/handbrake pads
-catalytic converter heat shield
-exhaust heat shield (stainless replacements are available)
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club
MikeWard

VIN #: 04708

Postby arranj » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes, that - and possibly the clutch friction plate too. But its very unlikely that the clutch or the main brake pads would be original (handbrake might be, and that for certain contained asbestos).
There are up to 3 heatshields to look at, although in many cases they are not there anymore. Other than the 2 mentioned above, there is also sometimes one on the starter motor (again this was replaced with stainless though - part number 101045).
Arran | DCUK 004 | VIN #1764 | Official DeLorean Club World Headquarters, Norfolk, UK

Das Webmeister
DeLorean Club

arranj

VIN #: 1764
Spaxed

Postby hana 5284 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:55 am

Hi Kathi yes i imported a Delorean from the UK to SA about 3 years ago. all you need to do is get a garage (someone you know) to sign a statutory declaration saying there is no Asbestos in the car ie brake pads clutch plate and heat shields gaskets. umm mine had all four! i would assume all original.....Did they check ummm NO!

I spent a whole week cleaning the car so it was spotless for the arrival into Australia for the quarantine inspection... what a fricking joke that was. They will fail it anyway just so they can get another $500.00 out of you for cleaning it.

you will have to get an import approval first before you can get a shipper to collect it from the uk. normally the car has to be running so they can drive it around the docks. again that's a joke as they couldn't start mine.

you will have to appoint a shipping agent to accept the car Aussie end, to my knowledge you can not accept it yourself.

you will be charged import costs. and don't forget to get it registered in Australia you will have to pay stamp duty on what the car is worth NOT what you paid for it. and don't think because you already own the car you don't have to pay it....YOU DO! another $3,500.00-$4,000.00 unless you put it on club rego then you don't have to pay it BUT you can only drive it 90 days a year. well that is the deal in SA not sure about NSW.

The shipping itself is not that expensive i think $1500-$2000 its all the other charges that bump it up.

So just to sum it all up you will be up for around $10,000 Australian on the road. less on club rego

happy to assist you all i can. i still have all the paperwork at home for the shippers and costs i think!! feel free to email me
tyson@floorsplus.net.au

or if you need a chat you can ring me
0405 080 908

cheers and good luck
Tyson
EuroTec Head of Transportation / Official Crane Operator
DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
The Future's
DeLorean Club

hana 5284

VIN #: Vin 6367
Spaxed

Postby DMC1983 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:27 am

Wow. And i thought uk customs like to bleed you dry.
DeLoryan
VIN 5219 - Oct 81
Grey Interior, Manual
Grooved Hood
Reg:  FNP 478W (Finding Numerous Problems)
Travelling And Recreation Developed In Style
Member of the Beverley Hills Car Club Club
DMC1983

VIN #: 5219
Spaxed

Postby Rissy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:44 pm

The rear bulkhead heatshield above the gearbox is also asbestos, as is the original oil pan seal.
Rissy
Chris M. Morionem qui loquitur multus sine cogitatione.

May 1981 vin#1458
"LEX" - Officially used in Britain's Greatest Machines (80's episode) with Chris Barrie.
Grey Wheels
Grooved, flapped Bonnet
Black Leather Interior
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):

2005 BMW M3 E46 Shape 3.246 Straight Six in Velvet Blue
1999 Honda Civic MB6 Shape 1.8VTi VTEC in Pirates Black
Rissy

VIN #: 01458

Postby KatS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:01 pm

MikeWard wrote:Hi Kathi,

You might be best off speaking to Tyson (hana 5284 on here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=69) as he imported his car to Australia several years ago so will be familiar with the process.

In terms of parts which contain asbestos I believe you are looking at the following:
-original brake/handbrake pads
-catalytic converter heat shield
-exhaust heat shield (stainless replacements are available)

Hi Mike! Thanks, that's helpful :-) Hope you are all well and good luck with getting through the winter .. with all that is happening over there. Always good to hear from you x
KatS

Postby KatS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:05 pm

arranj wrote:Yes, that - and possibly the clutch friction plate too. But its very unlikely that the clutch or the main brake pads would be original (handbrake might be, and that for certain contained asbestos).
There are up to 3 heatshields to look at, although in many cases they are not there anymore. Other than the 2 mentioned above, there is also sometimes one on the starter motor (again this was replaced with stainless though - part number 101045).

Thanks Arran! :thumbsup:
... what actually happens when the heat shields are removed? Do the need replacing? I read somewhere that they may not need replacing?
KatS

Postby KatS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:15 pm

hana 5284 wrote:Hi Kathi yes i imported a Delorean from the UK to SA about 3 years ago. all you need to do is get a garage (someone you know) to sign a statutory declaration saying there is no Asbestos in the car ie brake pads clutch plate and heat shields gaskets. umm mine had all four! i would assume all original.....Did they check ummm NO!

I spent a whole week cleaning the car so it was spotless for the arrival into Australia for the quarantine inspection... what a fricking joke that was. They will fail it anyway just so they can get another $500.00 out of you for cleaning it.

you will have to get an import approval first before you can get a shipper to collect it from the uk. normally the car has to be running so they can drive it around the docks. again that's a joke as they couldn't start mine.

you will have to appoint a shipping agent to accept the car Aussie end, to my knowledge you can not accept it yourself.

you will be charged import costs. and don't forget to get it registered in Australia you will have to pay stamp duty on what the car is worth NOT what you paid for it. and don't think because you already own the car you don't have to pay it....YOU DO! another $3,500.00-$4,000.00 unless you put it on club rego then you don't have to pay it BUT you can only drive it 90 days a year. well that is the deal in SA not sure about NSW.

The shipping itself is not that expensive i think $1500-$2000 its all the other charges that bump it up.

So just to sum it all up you will be up for around $10,000 Australian on the road. less on club rego

happy to assist you all i can. i still have all the paperwork at home for the shippers and costs i think!! feel free to email me
tyson@floorsplus.net.au

or if you need a chat you can ring me
0405 080 908

cheers and good luck
Tyson

Hi Tyson,
thanks for your long reply! Arggh, the stamp duty .. had forgotten about that! How do they estimate the VALUE of the car?! (if not going by buying price?) .... I will email you, too
thanks again!
KatS

Postby KatS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Rissy wrote:The rear bulkhead heatshield above the gearbox is also asbestos, as is the original oil pan seal.

thanks Rissy! :thumbsup:
KatS

Return to Welcome! ... General DeLorean chat