VIN 5992 - The Monarch in Greece & restoration

Describe these cars here or do a restoration blog of your DeLorean

VIN 5992 - The Monarch in Greece & restoration

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:40 am

Hey folks.
So I am the only Delorean owner in my country. I haven't had it out for a drive yet but I am sure it will raise a lot of eyebrows and stupid comments.
So far I have heard:
- only 10 of those were built : by an auto shop owner
- what color will you paint it? : by the Customs official
- Wasn't the BTTF car an AUDI Quattro 100? / a lotus ? / A lancia montecarlo? : various
- you know...the Bttf car was a sample ferrari model : smart ass info to another smart ass

Well at least NOBODY knows John Delorean or his drug scandal so I am free of those.

Ok, Let me get you up to date with my D story. So far posted on the Brothers over the big puddle in the US .

Enjoy.
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

VIN #: MMMMMCMXCII
Spaxed

Re: VIN 5992 - The Monarch in Greece & restoration

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:46 am

Presenting Vin 5992
Looking at the VIN Database created I see 5992 has other details than the ones I got.

Firstly, it has been in Michigan for many years and it only had one owner. See also its old fashioned Michigan license plate.

Front to back, the body shows minor dents and issues. As most nothern States vehicles, the trouble lies below.....

And the interior is just a charm! No cracks or tears, just the steering column cover is missing & the glove box button...:tongue2:

Finally we have an engine @ 17500 original miles, that hasn't started in years and I am leaving this as my first surprise fix. Gasoline should be all gluey and I am hoping no rats have been chewing on the cables.... :bash:

Note this will probably be the ONLY DELOREAN in Greece.
There was one impounded but the police several years back from a drug dealer, that I think was scrapped over 10 years ago. I have been looking for that VIN for years and it can not be found in any documents of the Greek authorities :(
Last edited by ALEXAKOS on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/LEDs/HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/MOMO/Custom SS exhaust/K&N/SS: f.fascia mounts,brake+clutch lines+tank cover+heat shlds/Posi-quiet brake pds/Poly bushing: steering +f.sway bar +radius.
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:47 am

The 5992 Trip:
February 20th

I start looking for a project Delorean on sale.

February 22nd
Member Lordfly mentions one being sold in DMCFL and sends me a PM with direct emails to them

February 23rd
I get the first reply from a new salesman in DMCFL with a couple of images and ask for more details

February 24th to 29th
I keep pushing Tony @ DMCFL for more images to close the deal

March 3rd (at night at a bar having had less than 12 beers)
I get a batch images (posted at the first post of this thread) and give my confirmation of prebooking to Tony over my smart phone (see I am not a show off to write iPhone.DOHHHH!!), while at my 12th beer....

March 7th
The purchase is closed! The VIN 5992, is now destined to be the only Delorean in Greece. Now it is awaiting for my connection in FL to head to Bonita springs for the pickup and payment.

March 8th
I open this thread.

March 10th
VIN 5992 gets loaded onto a U-HAUL trailer and gets driven across Florida to be stored at Fort Lauderdale until its shipping date.

March 10th to May10th

Stored at a yard, the day has come to be loaded into its container of CMA CGM # ECMU9125161

May11th
Container gets transported to Port Everglades FL

May 14th
Container carrier vessel MADRID EXPRESS of Hapag-Lloyd, sets sail to Cagliary Italy.

May 27th
First leg completed and container is now unloaded at the port of Cagliari, on the island of Sardinia, Italy. It will stay here for another 7 days until its next Vessel will load it up.

June 3rd
Vessel Roza A loads up the container and starts its Mediterranean tour with VIN 5992.
Valencia, Castellon le la plana, and now anchored at Barcelona
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 am

As I was awaiting my D... I am killing time by creating props.
TFD switch handle (battery cleaner) dyed mate black

Dayton switch completed

Plutonium gauges

The flux-er

The coffee grinder into Mr fusion

and an couple more that I have no photos yet.
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:51 am

June the 17th

FINALLY SAW A DELOREAN in my life... My Delorean...

HAIR??? WHERE I AM GOING I DON'T NEED HAIR!!!
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:53 am

Here is a nice post on what it looks like opening the container of my goodie:)

After several (Greek) excuses I managed to enter behind the scenes of the Piraeus Port Customs warehouse.

Never seen how high those containers are stacked. You may see it in movies and pics, but driving by a 6 container stack is pretty impressive!!!!

First we got picked up by the new owners of the Piraeus port.

A Chinese company had recently invested and bought the place. The expansions are amazing

We got in the warehouse were the small items were removed from the container.

Then we were left down to the two vehicles. A 65 Mustang that the Delo was rearending all across the Atlantic !!!!:hysterical:

Real tight you say?

Love how the Delo is almost as high as the Mustangs rear end!

Later the crane moved the container on to another location on the ground and the cars were unloaded. First the Mustang and then the delo

HERE COMES!!

Heart is pumping crazy by now....

and TOUCHDOWN 5992: THE FIRST in GREECE!!!!!

Next they attached the forklift to the D to pull into the vehicle checking area

Customs official pulling in my D

rolling

Customs official (in red), Transport manager from Florida (in blue) and my Customs rep in (beige) preparing my documents

STUPID DELOREAN COMMENT OF THE DAY! (By the customs official)
"What color are you going to paint this?"
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:54 am

Well, all of you owners know what this feels like.....

5992 finally found her resting place at my garage after an exhausting trip.
"she" feels very tired and looks neglected. Might take her another year or so to see the light of day for a spin.
My story... JUST BEGINS
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:54 am

Found this on the floor

HANDS OFF!!! THIS IS MINE!!!!

My first Cave painting
Right door

Like the fix???
Now this door are more issues than it actually seems too. Can't figure out what happened to it that it needed so much repair.
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

Ladies and Gentlemen.
The fight is about to commence.
On the left corner, weighing 2250 Lbs, the Goldwing brothers with their jetski support.

On the right corner weighing 2600 Lbs, the stainless Gullwing DMC-12.

But wait a minute! What do I see there? It has a tool box!!!

Can the DMC-12 win the fight with that toolbox?

Only time will tell.

For starters let's gain some height
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Postby ALEXAKOS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

And look at some details.

Mickey mouse has created a nice shack fro him self here:
here
and here:

but was kind enough to chew ONLY on the turning signal extension wiring!
Thanx for that Mickey;)
ALEXAKOS

Spaxed

Next

Return to Members Cars or Unique DeLoreans